Join us for the 3rd Annual Adult Battle of the Books for Charity
on Thursday, August 7th from 7:00-8:30 PM
Team registrations due: Monday, July 28th by 9:00 PM
Do you love to read? Do you like trivia? Think you have what it takes to beat the competition and earn money for your favorite charity? If you answered YES, then gather your friends, family and neighbors and form a team for SSLDL’s 3rd Annual Adult Battle of the Books for Charity! Each team pays $25 to participate. Each team will choose a non-library charity of choice. If your team wins, a donation will be made to the charity you selected. Teams can have a maximum of 5 participants each.
This year's book list theme is: Funny, Dysfunctional Families
Copies of the books can be picked up at the Adult "Ask Us" desk, after registration is completed.
- The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson
- Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
- Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
- Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
- Teams must turn in their completed registration forms by Monday, July 28, 2014 by 9:00 PM. At that time, the $25 registration fee must be paid to the library and a non-library charity must be chosen. The library will hold the registration fees until after the Battle of the Books. Once a winning team is determined, a check will be written to the charity that the winning team chose.
- A team will have a maximum of five members. Teams may play with less than five members.
- If a team cannot appear on the Book Battle date of Thursday, August 7, 2014, a minimum 24 hour notice must be given to the library.
- Teams may be questioned on any of the books on the Battle of the Books list.
- Each team will have 30 seconds to answer the initial question. If a team asks to have a question repeated, the second reading will be included in their 30 second response time.
- Outside interference or assistance will not be tolerated and will result in disqualification of the team.
- Team members may confer. Teams must have a captain assigned to give the final answer. No other team member’s answer will be accepted. Only the first answer given by the team captain will be acceptable.
- If the team has begun its response before time is called, the team will be allowed to complete their answer.
- An answer is considered correct even if an article in a title is left out. For example, Secret Life of Bees is correct even though the full title is The Secret Life of Bees. An answer of the authors’ names will be considered correct if they are mispronounced as long as the judges can discern it. The first and last name of the author must be given to receive one point. Half points will not be awarded if the answer only contains the last or first name.
- The judges are the final authority on the acceptability of an answer.
How is the Battle Scored?
Correct Title: 4 points; Correct Author: 1 point (first and last name)
Example of a typical Battle question:
In which book does a character fall out of a tree?
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A REGISTRATION FORM & COPY OF THE RULES!